Re: Disable implicit RCS rule of GNU Make

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Disable implicit RCS rule of GNU Make
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:25:49 +0200

>>> "RH" == Robert Homann <address@hidden> writes:

 RH> Hello list!
 RH> We have a problem here with GNU Make's built-in rules that I can't seem to
 RH> be able to solve. Short version of my question: How can the implicit rule
 RH> for RCS defined in GNU Make be disabled in a portable way (Automake 1.9.6,
 RH> Autoconf 2.59)? Using GNU Make syntax, this can be done using

 RH> % : RCS/%,v
 RH> % : %,v

Alway typing "make -r", is probably inconvenient.

A portable way to use some GNU Make syntax is to add a
GNUmakefile near your Makefile{,.in,.am}.  This GNUmakefile
would look as follows :

include Makefile
% : RCS/%,v
% : %,v

This way GNU Make will uses these rules in addition to the
ordinary Makefile.  But Automake and other Make implementation
never see them.

[...]

 RH> CO = \#

BTW, escaping # is not portable.  Here setting
  CO = :
would be safer.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz