Re: depcomp on system headers

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: depcomp on system headers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:18:19 +0200

Hello David,

* David Everly wrote on Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:08:39PM CEST:
> On 8/8/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> >* David Everly wrote on Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 12:56:12AM CEST:
> >
> >> Thus, you get deps like this:
> >>
> >> rw/numbrw: rw/numbrw.cc
> >> rw/numbrwcc:
>
> My apologies for being lazy.  These were in fact absolute like this:
>
> /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw: /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc
> /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrwcc:

Cut'n'paste is lazy _and_ more helpful.  :-)

> My point was to note that numbrw depends on numbrw.cc, and that
> numbrw.cc was modified _later_ than numbrw.

OK.

> I had retrieved the latest version (2006-07-09.11) of depcomp from cvs
> to add to our 1.9.6 automake, which included the hp2 case containing
> '+Maked'.

OK.

> >But I don't see that; and that difference is the crux of the problem.
> >For me, the source file
> >  #include <locale>
> >  int main() { return 0; }
> >
> >causes absolute file name like
> >  /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw:
> >  /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc:
>
> You don't see /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw depending on
> /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc ?

No, I don't.  Not with the first
  gmake

and not after following
  gmake clean; gmake

> However, I don't yet think these are automake 'bugs' but issues with
> system deps and gnu make using the results of +Maked.

> I think this, because when I use "gmake -r" the problem goes away:

Well, I still think things should Just Work[tm] with +Maked anyway,
even without 'gmake -r'.

While looking at the debug output, you may also want to poke at the
intermediate files that depcomp handles.