Re: depcomp on system headers

From: David Everly
Subject: Re: depcomp on system headers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:33:05 -0600

I've responded to Ralf's questions, but will try to answer these also:

On 8/8/06, Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 06:08:39AM -0600, David Everly wrote:
> [ incorrect deps reported by me here ]

I do not have much experience with depcomp, but this looks like a
bug; one header should not depend on another one.

That was a bad cut/paste error by me.  I sent the actual file in my
reply to Ralf so there would be no mistake by me again.

The question is who is in charge for this wrong dependency.
Is it the depcomp script?  Or the compiler called from it?

In automake with the latest depcomp, each has a role.

It seems that Ralf cannot reproduce your problem; can you debug it
and point your finger to the utility which is causing this?
Is that utility free software, ie., under our control?
Or is it a vendor compiler?

I have replied to Ralf with an example using only HP make and aCC to
reproduce the issue.

I hope my questions help to find the solution.
        Stepan Kasal

--
ASCII ribbon campaign:
()  against HTML email