Re: Forcing static link of libstdc++

From: Mike Melanson
Subject: Re: Forcing static link of libstdc++
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:35:17 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
I don't think it is (and I didn't mean to imply that).  What I meant
was: even modern systems usually have a libstdc++.so.5.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I see that I have some copies of libstdc++.so.5 running around on my system. I will have to check the situation on other versions.

The situation is complicated, however, by the fact that there is only one version of gcc (4.0.2) that is known to compile the codebase thus far (C++ developed for Win/Mac). If I install gcc 4.0.2 as a separate compiler on an older machine, I wonder if it will be an option to link to libstdc++.so.5? The compiler builds v6.

A shared library containing non-PIC code will _not_ work on most
systems.  For example, on x86_64, on ia64, and of course not on several
non-GNU/Linux operating systems.  And the memory/speed tradeoff of
having text relocations is not clear (it may be worse for both).
Generally, I'd consider it ugly.

Fortunately, all we are targetting with this binary is Linux/x86 systems.

--
        -Mike Melanson