Re: Multilib support

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Multilib support
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:34:35 +0200

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 21:36 +0800, Tzu-Chien Chiu wrote:
> Thank you. You're right. It has nothing to do with multilib.
>
> I've read configure.ac and Makefile.am of texinfo.
I am not familiar with texinfo's sources

>  Here is how it works.
> When cross-compiling, the same configure script is run twice for all
> sub-directories of source directory. Makefile.am, however, selectively only
> builds some or all of these sub-directories depending upon if set TOOLS_ONLY
> is set by the configure script. When building native tools, the variables
> CC, AR, and RANLIB copied from the their BUILD_* environment variable
> counterparts.
>
> The users have to manually set BUILD_CC, BUILD_AR, BUILD_RANLIB before
> running 'configure', right? I thought there would be AC_PROG_*-like macros
> for these?
This is not the standard autoconf way to do it - I guess, it's the way
texinfo's authors implemented it.

Normally with autoconf/automake, you need 2 different build-directories,
each individually being configured for one host, because
autoconf/automake only support one host at a time per configure script.

To be able to support this, you'll need to implement a toptevel
configure script, which configures sub-directories this way. This is the
way, most complex packages handle multiple host building.