support for binary dist?

From: Ryan McDougall
Subject: support for binary dist?
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:14:19 +0900

Hello,
 I am porting a proprietary (yes I know, but it pays the bills) windows
application to linux using autotools. So far I have gotten automake to
do what I want up until the install/build stage.

 I wish to provide our end-users with a tarball that includes a
dynamically linkable library, and the needed header files for our SDK.

 As far as I can tell, I have two options:
1. make install into a package directory, then tar that up by hand
2. make dist while somehow excluding the original .CPP files.

 Which immediately gives me two problems:
1. make install links my dynamic SO to my package directory instead of
the user's prefix directory
2. make dist complains about the missing .CPP files, even if I include
all the .O and .LO files

 Does automake have any make bindist support? Can anyone recommend a
method to me?

 I dont have much experience with making proprietary (non-GNU)
applications so I apologize if I missed something.