Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 12:54:00 +0200

Hello,

[let's move to the automake list; please keep Guillaume in the cc]

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 11:39:45AM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Moreover, it requires me to specify a path to a file external to my
> package, which I don't want to do.

well, this is the root of the problem:
Your package should be rebuildable by others.
If the file ocaml.m4 is ``external'' to your project, then others
have to install it before rebuilding your package.

Then we can suppose that ocaml.m4 is installed in the system aclocal
directory, eg. /usr/share/aclocal, on in another directory, which is
listed in the file `dirlist'.  (See the aclocal info documentation
for details about the `dirlist' file.)

Though it might not be clear from the documentation, `aclocal -I'
should be used only with subdirectories inside your project.  In
other cases, you should have a `system' installation of the *.m4
file, using the `dirlist' file.

(It is possible /usr/share/aclocal/dirlist is read-only in your case,
perhaps because you do not administer the system.  Then your only
option is to make a local installation of Automake under your $HOME
directory.)

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal