Re: sysconf_DATA v. dist_sysconf_DATA

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: sysconf_DATA v. dist_sysconf_DATA
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 18:20:14 +0100

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 06:30:42AM -0700, David Everly wrote:
> If I understand this correctly, my error was in the use of
> $(top_srcdir).  So I'm wondering under what circumstances it would be
> correct to use $(top_srcdir) and $(srcdir).

a very quick answer: do not use $(top_srcdir) nor $(srcdir).

(I apologize that I have not noticed this earlier.)

In variables interpreted by Automake (like sysconf_DATA), the
$(srcdir) prefix is not needed.  It is possible that new versions of
Automake were patched to delete it, but it does not belong there.

To enhance the above advice: do not use $(srcdir) (and such) until
you encounter a problem which will force you to use them.  And I
think that when you are forced to use $(srcdir) in Makefile.am,
it'll be in a _rule_, not in a variable.

This is just a rule of thumb, it is possible that others will
correct/amend it.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal