Using automake in conjunction with kbuild Makefile

From: Steve Kreyer
Subject: Using automake in conjunction with kbuild Makefile
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:48:29 +0100

Hi,

I have a source package where a kernel driver is included.
I want to   distribute this package with autotools.
Now I have a problem that I don't really know how automake
and the kbuild Makefile can work together...
I have the following Makefile.am:
KBUILD_MAKEFILE = ${srcdir}/Makefile.kbuild
EXTRA_DIST = Makefile.kbuild

DEFAULT_INCLUDES = address@hidden@

all-local:
$(MAKE) -f ${KBUILD_MAKEFILE} KERNELDIR=$(KERNELDIR) EXTRA_CFLAGS="$(EXTRA_CFLAGS) $(DEFS) $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES)" RT=${RT}
clean-local:
   $(MAKE) -f ${KBUILD_MAKEFILE} KERNELDIR=$(KERNELDIR) clean

This file is saved with the name "GNUmakefile.am". "Makefile.kbuild" is linked at configure time to a file called "Makefile" so that the kernel Makefile will found the Makefile for my module sources. So the last lines of configure.ac:
AC_CONFIG_LINKS(most-kernel/Makefile:most-kernel/Makefile.kbuild)
AC_CONFIG_FILES([most-kernel/GNUmakefile])
AC_OUTPUT

This procedure works well to build the driver without problems, but for example a make distcheck will fail because the module sources
will not be copied into the build environment of the distcheck...
So how can I use the kbuild Makefile in conjunction with automake?

Iam thankful for any hints you can give me, if you need additional infos please let me know...

Best regards,
Steve