"Sublibraries" without libtool

From: Yevgen Muntyan
Subject: "Sublibraries" without libtool
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:32:11 -0600 (CST)

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to avoid using libtool when I don't need a
shared library. The current, "normal", setup is like this: I have a toplevel
library which gets built into the executable, it gets built from libs from
subdirs, and those subdirs in turn have subdirs with convenience
libraries. It looks like this:

libtoplevel_la_LDADD = subdir1/libsubdir1.la subdir2/libsubdir2.la
libsubdir1_la_LDADD = subsubdir1/libsubsubdir1.la subsubdir2/libsubsubdir2.la

subdir1/
  libsubdir1.la
  subsubdir1/
    libsubsubdir1.la
  subsubdir2/
    libsubsubdir2.la

It works fine if I'm using libtool, the libraries from nested subdirs get
somehow correctly picked up and built into the executable (I guess it simply
lists object files in la files in some way).
Now, if I replace those libtool libs with automake LIBRARIES, then it no
longer works, and I need to list *all* the static libs built in all
subdirectories on the myexe_LIBADD line.

How can I avoid this, to have convenience libraries take care of themselves,
so I could link the executable to a single libtoplevel.a? Is this possible
without reimplementing what libtool does?

If you wonder why I want this, then it's very simple - no libtool is much
much faster than libtool :)

Thank you,
Yevgen