Re: I can do it in Makefile.in but not sure how to translate it to Makef

From: J.H.
Subject: Re: I can do it in Makefile.in but not sure how to translate it to Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:40:06 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello John,

* J.H. wrote on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 03:32:14AM CET:
kcookieserver_skel.cpp: kcookieserver.kidl
$(DCOPIDL2CPP) --c++-suffix cpp --no-signals --no-stub kcookieserver.kidl
        foobar

While this works great in the Makefile.in, when Makefile.in gets rebuilt from Makefile.am this gets hosed.

I don't understand the question.  If you add that code to Makefile.am,
it will be copied to Makefile.in exactly by automake.  What gets hosed?
Maybe there's merely a typo (note only one of the rule lines starts with
a TAB)?

The problem stems from the fact that the rule that gets written to create kcookieserver_skel.cpp seems to be done automatically, and it doesn't directly come from the Makefile.am. In fact the entire Makefile.am is:

INCLUDES = -I$(srcdir)/../../../../dropin -I$(srcdir)/../../../../dropin/kio \
           -I$(srcdir)/../../../kdecore \
           $(QTOPIA_INCLUDES) $(all_includes)

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libkcookiejar.la

libkcookiejar_la_SOURCES = kcookiejar.cpp kcookieserver.cpp \
                           kcookieserver.skel kcookiewin.cpp
libkcookiejar_la_METASOURCES = AUTO

KDE_OPTIONS = qtonly

I've tried adding the exact make rule that I want to the Makefile.am, it includes it just fine, but the rest of the makefile doesn't seem to build (so it's possible there is something going on outside of automake but I haven't found anything yet) My entire goal is just to get `foobar` to be executed sometime after kcookieserver_skel.cpp is created but before it compiles. I've been reading through the automake documentation and looking through the source code to try and figure out where the rules are getting built from but no luck so far.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

- John