c++ link order problems

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: c++ link order problems
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:56:40 -0500

Hello,

I'm having some problems with getting the correct link order using automake.

I have something like:

foo_SOURCES= src1.cc src4.cc src5.cc
nodist_foo_SOURCES= src2.cc src3.cc

and some extra suffix rules that specify how src2.cc and src3.cc are created (they are generated at build time).

Now the problem is that the link order needs to be

src1.o src2.o src3.o src4.o src5.o

but automake produces

src1.o src4.c src5.o src2.o src3.o

because it puts the "nodist" sources _after_ the normal sources.

I didn't want to put the nodist_foo_SOURCES directly into foo_SOURCES because, well, I didn't want them to be in the distfile. Is there any other way around this or am I basically stuck having to distribute files which are really intermediate files.

Thanks
-Dan