Re: Circular dependency

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Circular dependency
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:04:51 +0100

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:24:19AM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> So, to get back at my original question, what's the proper way of
> expressing dependencies for a generated source file through
> configure-time substitution:
> foo: foo.in config.status
>
> or, as in autoconf documentation:
> foo: foo.in Makefile

if the you have AC_CONFIG_FILE([foo]) in configure.ac, then the
former is the proper way, and it is created automatically by
automake so you usually do nothing.

If, OTOH, you have special needs, you have to put something like this
in your Makefile.am:

EXTRA_DIST = foo.in
foo: foo.in Makefile
        sed 's/THIS/$(THAT)/g' $(srcdir)/foo.in >$@

Using Makefile instead of config.status causes rebuild not only upon
reconfigure, but also when you edit this Makefile.am, perhaps
modifying the sed command.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan