Re: no rule to make asm targets

From: Jari Strand
Subject: Re: no rule to make asm targets
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 19:28:28 +0200

From: Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>
To: Jari Strand <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 07:32:34 +0100

* Jari Strand wrote on Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:03:01AM CET:
> >From: Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>
> >
> >Please keep the mailing list in Cc:.  Thanks.
>
> I am sorry because I don't know what Cc means?

It means that, when you reply, you should also send a copy of the
message to the automake mailing list.  That way, everyone can look
at the discussion, help, learn, and I can find old messages easily.

> >* Jari Strand wrote on Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 02:09:10PM CET:

> >> Are you saying that there should be no identation after the
> >> .asm.o: line?
> >
> >No.  The error you made was the doubled period.  Instead of writing
> >this:
> >..asm.o:

> >You should be writing this:
> >.asm.o:

> I see thank you, that was actually just a typo, it was correctly typed in
> the Makefile.am.

OK.

> >SUFFIXES = .asm .o
> >
> >This helps automake detect the list of suffixes; it will then set it
> >correctly for make.
>
> Alright I have put that SUFFICES line in but it did not help.

(I assume that this is yet another typo, right?  SUFFIXES vs. SUFFICES.)

Right it was a typo ,sorry about those.

> I wonder what is wrong and it bugs me that all of the .o files generate are
> name like buildName-fileName.o instead of just filename.o . It probably
> doesnt matter but I thought that I should ask at the same time if it's
> possible to set the output location of the generated .o files?

Ahh.  Now we're getting closer.  You have per-target compilation flags,
right?  Then an inference rule won't do.  Please post your Makefile.am,
that may help pointing out ways out.

That makes sense.

Generally, you could
- avoid per-target flags here to avoid the renamed object files, or
- write manual rules for all those objects, or
- write the target dependencies on the objects yourself, to control
  the object file names, or
- use Automake 1.10, and just use its builtin support for assembly
  (but then your source files need to be named *.s/*.S, and you need
  CCAS/CCASFLAGS/AM_CCASFLAGS, and the AM_PROG_AS macro; see the manual)

Hope that helps.

Ok here is the Slightly modified Makefile.am:

bin_PROGRAMS = editorD

TLIB_PATH = /home

AM_CPPFLAGS = -I$(TLIB_PATH)/openal/LINUX -I$(TLIB_PATH)/lungif -I$(TLIB_PATH)/lungif -I$(TLIB_PATH)/opengl2d3d -I$(TLIB_PATH)/zlib -I$(TLIB_PATH)/lpng -I$(TLIB_PATH)/ljpeg -I$(TLIB_PATH)/vorbis/include

CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH = /usr/include

editorD_CPPFLAGS = $(AM_CPPFLAGS) -DEDITOR_BUILD

editorD_SOURCES = \
someSource.cc \
someAsm.asm

SUFFIXES = .asm.o

..asm.o: $(NASM_PATH) -o $@ -f elf -dLINUX $<

that's located in sub directory called engine and in the root dir I have Makefile.am that has only one line:

SUBDIRS = engine

Thanks!

PS: I hope I got that Cc right now?