Re: how to exclude the COPYING file

From: Presario Smith
Subject: Re: how to exclude the COPYING file
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:00:09 +0100

Hi Ralf,

I followed your instructions.  I put in my main Makefile.am this line:

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign

And it did the job that I wanted.  Many thanks!

Best,
Presario

On 12/8/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Presario,

* Presario Smith wrote on Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 10:15:33AM CET:

> I'm writing to ask how to exclude the COPYING file from the
> distribution.  When I type
> "make dist", the distribution will automatically contain that file.
> However, the license of my software is in the LICENSE file, and I
> don't want the GNU GPL in COPYING.

Don't have a COPYING file lying around in your source tree at
'make dist' time.  Use the `foreign' Automake option to not
require it, either as
  automake --foreign

or as option argument to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE in configure.ac, or
assign it to the variable AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS in the toplevel Makefile.am.

To list the set of files which automake distributes automatically if
found, type
  automake --help

Hope that helps.