installing complete generated directory trees

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: installing complete generated directory trees
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:34:54 -0500

I have a program which as part of its build generates a large directory structure that is a couple of levels deep and has a couple of thousand ascii data files that the program may make use of at run time.

I'm wondering what the right way is to get this installed by automake. Also I'm debating including those generated files in the distfile to avoid one extra build time dependency (there is 1 extra tool needed to generate these files that users may or may not have installed) for users building from a distfile.

I guess I could use tar in an install-local: target but I didn't know if there was a supported way. For the distfile, I didn't see any good way.

Thanks.

-Dan