Re: building texi files with make check under AIX - how to stop it!!

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: building texi files with make check under AIX - how to stop it!!
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:41:49 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 04:49:00PM CET:

> I am using automake 1.10, and having a problem on AIX systems, with
> AIX make.
[...]
> With GNU make this works well everywhere, but using the AIX make it
> tries to build the documents anyway, and this causes an error:

First question: does it really cause an error, i.e., make's exit status
is nonzero, or merely the warning from `missing' but a successful build?

Second question: how can I reproduce this?  I built the
netcdf-beta.tar.gz on an AIX 5.3 system using native 'make' and a VPATH
setup (source tree different from build tree), and it did not try to
update the documentation at all.

> Can this problem be fixed? Telling people to now use AIX make is just
> not acceptable for us.

I assume you mean "not" using AIX make:  Sure.

> The next thing I am going to try is to put the texi documentation into
> it's own directory, and see if I can cause the top level makefile to
> just skip that directory. But this will be dorky, because I still have
> to install built docs...

I don't think that's going to help at all.