Re: How do I get configuration files installed?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How do I get configuration files installed?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:10:46 +0100

I noted this message still lying around in my autotools folder...

* Jim Lynch wrote on Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 08:43:17AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Jim Lynch wrote on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 02:46:04PM CEST:
> >
> >> I'm trying to figure out how to add a file to be installed in
> >> $prefix/bin/lib.

> > Why in the world would you want that?  (Honest question!)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be enough if you used $(libdir), and told your users
> > that if they want to shoot themselves mildly in the foot, they could
> > still use
> >   ./configure --bindir=/some/where/bin --libdir=/some/where/bin/lib
> > ?

> The reason is that we were given a java program by a vendor that
> requires files to be placed in a lib directory in the same directory as
> the java program.  We try to keep all of our binary executables in the
> same place, namely /usr/local/bin.  Hence the need for a
> /usr/local/bin/lib directory.  I agree it's not ideal, but we have to
> work with what we get.

Hmm, ok.  In that case I'd probably go with putting everything below
libexecdir and providing symlinks in bindir, but anyway I think Andreas
provided you with a solution in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/7737/focus=7740>