GNU Mach's usage of the Auto* tools (was: [OT] avoid long ac_user_opts l

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: GNU Mach's usage of the Auto* tools (was: [OT] avoid long ac_user_opts line in configure)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:50:16 +0100

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:17:25AM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Thomas Schwinge wrote on Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:40:41PM CET:
> > #v+
> > $ ~/tmp/source/gnumach/clean/gnumach-1-branch/configure --help | egrep ^\ \
> > --...\?able- | wc -l
> > 102
> > #v-
>
> Hehe.  To add some on-topicness to this size comparison: how long was
> the generated line in the configure script?

I don't have such a line, because I'm using automake 1.10, I guess.  If
you are really interested I could try with another version.

> Does gnumach exercise autotools thoroughly and is large in some way(s)?

Yes and yes, I'd say.  And in fact I had the idea of presenting what I
recently have done (converting GNU Mach to use Automake) on these very
mailing lists, but didn't get to actually do that so far.

> Can I build it on a GNU/Linux system without many prerequisites?

Yes.  If you're using Debian you need to install the `mig' package, if
not, that's easily doable by hand.

> I'm interested in adding it to my list of irregularly exercised
> autotools regression suite.

Nice!  So, you actually ask me to present it here.  :-)

You can basically follow the instructions from
<http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/BuildingGNUMach>.  You're most
probably interested in using the cvs sources, the `gnumach-1-branch'.
You could supply `--disable-default-device-drivers' to the `configure'
command line to avoid compiling all the device drivers into the kernel
image, which slows down the build, but -- most probably -- won't give any
new results for your use case.  Everything else (build system wise)
should work as expected.

Please ask, if there are questions.

Regards,
 Thomas