Re: verbosity

From: Jason Kraftcheck
Subject: Re: verbosity
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:10:19 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Christopher Sean Morrison wrote on Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 07:55:27PM CET:
>> Counterproductive presumptuous flamings aside, there are compelling
>> arguments on both sides of the issue for having or quelling verbose
>> compilation output.
>
> Yes, the flaming all helps nothing and contributes nothing.  If you want
> to get support into Automake, you have to convince its maintainer, see
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2006-08/msg00024.html>
> and the message that started the thread for a patch homepage.

I don't understand why this is such a controversial issue.  Just have
automake prefix all commands in rules that are not already prefixed with @
or - with $(PREFIX) (or some other variable.)  Have default for PREFIX be
empty so the current behavior is unchanged.  If someone wants to change
the output, they can redefine it with something like PREFIX="@echo
'building $@ ...'; ".  Minimal makefile 'bloat', no change to the default
behavior, and the flexibility for the output to be whatever is desired.

- jason