Re: HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P

From: deckrider
Subject: Re: HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:10:13 -0700

On 2/10/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello deckrider,

Hi Ralf, thanks for the reply.

* deckrider wrote on Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 12:47:23AM CET:
> I'm having some parallel problem that isn't always repeatable (as is
> the case with many parallel problems) when using HP make as follows:
>
> PARALLEL=4 make -P distcheck
>
> I get errors like this:

Please post the whole make output.  Please also post the configure
output.  Thanks.

Output attached as configure.txt and make.txt

I configured as follows:

cd bug-1.0.0
mkdir build
cd build
../configure

I don't always get errors every time, so I ran HP make to create
make.txt like this, and used the make.txt that was created when
finally seeing an error:

PARALLEL=4
export PARALLEL
while make -P distcheck > ../../make.txt 2>&1 ; do sleep 1 ; done

> It seems that perhaps $(bin_PROGRAMS) depending on Makefile in my
> example might be needed to solve this.  However, I might expect
> Automake to take care of it.

What should this have to do with the issues you're seeing?
Nothing in the output you posted hints at a rebuild of the Makefile.

> I'm attaching bug-1.0.0.zip which is a small project which reproduces
> the error on my system:

Thanks.

> $ uname -a
> HP-UX omztdv1 B.11.23 U ia64 2505142627 unlimited-user license
>
> We have 4 CPUs on this system, which is why we use PARALLEL=4 (I would
> guess that this may not be repeatable on a single CPU system).

I only have access to single CPU HP-UXen.  I don't have enough
information to ask intelligent questions yet, though.