Re: HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P

From: deckrider
Subject: Re: HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 05:52:27 -0700

Hmmm...I think I need more coffee...I hit transmit too soon and I'm
now not sure I see the config.status issue at all  :(

On 2/13/07, deckrider <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/12/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Jason, all,
>
> * Jason Kraftcheck wrote on Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 07:34:25PM CET:
> >
> > This looks like a race to create .libs by concurrent libtool processes.
>
> Nope.  Unless the output is mangled in order, the link commands are
> simply issued too early.

This is what I thought at first.  However, another characteristic is
that I am _not_ able to cause an error through these steps:

configure
make
make clean
PARALLEL=4
export PARALLEL
while make -P ; do make clean ; done

In other words, _after_ config.status runs, it is safe to run in
parallel.  But as you can see in the log, config.status is at times
running _again_ with HP make.  Thus, if I do this in Makefile.am, I
also don't see errors:

$(PROGRAMS): Makefile

We also have a very large project, but have not seen this problem in
it.  Perhaps the reason is that it has a lot of $(BUILT_SOURCES) to
generate before it starts compiling and linking, and by the time it
compiles and links, config.status has already finished running.

But I am not certain of my conclusions ... just reporting some
additional behavior that I've seen.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign:
()  against HTML email