Wishlist: Clean target for generated C files?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Wishlist: Clean target for generated C files?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:18:41 -0700

I would really like a clean target that would remove generated source
files such as generated .c and .h files.  In the case of yacc and lex
I would like to distribute the generated files so as not to require
the use of yacc and lex to compile the distribution.  This rules out
DISTCLEANFILES or that would work.  But they are not true source and
so at times it is useful to delete them and rebuild them.  Such as
when asking the question, which version of flex works and which fails?

It seems that I really would like another clean target that is more
than CLEANFILES but less than MAINTAINERCLEANFILES that is not called
when making a distribution.  MAINTAINERCLEANFILES removes the Makefile
and running autoreconf and configure on this particular project takes
a very long time.

Just wishing...

Bob