Re: newbye question: autoconf/make with non standard compiler/linker

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: newbye question: autoconf/make with non standard compiler/linker
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:24:48 +0100

Hello Eric,
* Eric Chassande-Mottin wrote on Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:11:12AM CET:

I'm trying to use autoconf/make to compile/link a package of C++ routines.
these routines are so-called DLD (dynamically loadable functions) for
GNU Octave.
they are compiled and linked with "mkoctfile" (which internally use g++).
the idea is to replace the usual C++ compiler and linker by mkoctfile.
I can do this easily for the compiler by stating new compiling rules in
the Makefile.am. But I couldn't find any nice solution for the linking step.

If all your C++ sources can be compiled with this wrapper but do not
have to be, then let the user do
./configure CXX=mkoctfile
If all your C++ sources have to be compiled with this wrapper, then I
guess putting
: ${CXX=mkoctfile}
in configure.ac before AC_PROG_CXX should allow the user an override but
gives a sensible default for your package.
If you really need to override only the linker, Automake uses the
undocumented $(CXXLD) variable for linking.  (Maybe it would be a good
idea to document it, not sure.) Hope that helps.