BUILT_SOURCES automagically made MAINTAINERCLEANFILES

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: BUILT_SOURCES automagically made MAINTAINERCLEANFILES
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:30:43 +0200

Hello

I've searched in the manual but the following behavior is not documented:

# handle_clean ($MAKEFILE)
# ------------------------
# Handle all 'clean' targets.
sub handle_clean ($)
{
  # Built sources are automatically removed by maintainer-clean.
  $clean_files{'$(BUILT_SOURCES)'} = MAINTAINER_CLEAN
    if var ('BUILT_SOURCES');

I see many, many people who manually list their BUILT_SOURCES in CLEANFILES or
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES.  Actually even the manual shows an example in which
BUILT_SOURCES are listed in CLEANFILES.

Since this behavior isn't documented, can we considere that it's simply an
omission and rely on it, or has it been done on purpose for some reason?

SIGOURE Benoit aka Tsuna
   _____
  /EPITA\ Promo 2008, LRDE