variables containing newline characters

From: James Willenbring
Subject: variables containing newline characters
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:51:18 -0500

Hello,

I am attempting to move the Trilinos project from Automake 1.8.2 to 1.10.  I
am having trouble with variables that span multiple lines.  Since some of
the variables that we commonly use can have hundreds of characters, it is
common to use newline characters to break them up.

That has always worked for us in the past.  Now I get a warning during
configure:

configure: WARNING: Cache variable ac_cv_env_LIBS_value contains a newline.

Then make fails quickly:

Makefile:161: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Is there a solution for this problem, other than passing long lines to
configure?

Thank you in advance!

Jim