Re: spaces and distcheck

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: spaces and distcheck
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:46:36 +0200

Hello Dave,

* deckrider wrote on Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:54:16PM CEST:
> From using automake (GNU automake) 1.10 on cygwin, I noticed that
> 'make distcheck' doesn't work when the build directory contains
> spaces.  This seems to also be true on unix (the reason it was noticed
> on cygwin is because the default home directory seems to contain
> spaces).

Yes.  See automake/tests/instspc.test for what is expected to work and
what fails, and why.  distcheck is a developer's tool -- it helps to
check that your packaging works, but it's not a mandatory target in the
sense that it needs to work everywhere.  Just distcheck your package in
a build path that does not contain spaces.  /tmp comes to mind.

Hope that helps.