Circular dependecy linker trouble

From: Søren Boll Overgaard
Subject: Circular dependecy linker trouble
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:14:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I've recently migrated a rather large body of code from a proprietary
development environment, to an automake based one.

I've run into trouble during linking though. The code is laid out like
this:

src/
Contains main.cpp which holds the main method

src/framework/
Contains framework code. All files in here are packed into an archive
libframework.a.

src/services/
Contains service related code. All files in here are packed into an
archive libservices.a

No other programs need these archives, so I guess I could just as well
link with the object files directly, if I could determine a clean way of
doing that.

Framework code depends on services code and vice versa.
Linking fails to resolve dependencies. The linker command line
essentially looks like this:

g++  -g -O2 ../src/framework/libframework.a ../src/services/
liblmsservices.a  -o program main.o  -lpthread

I've tried fiddling with the --start-group and --end-group linker flags
as well. Alas to no avail.

Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

If it makes a difference, I am using:
automake (GNU automake) 1.10
gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

--
Søren O.