Re: make distcheck and the /etc dir

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make distcheck and the /etc dir
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:00:58 +0200

Hello, and sorry for chiming in so late,

* Noah Slater wrote on Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 06:57:43PM CEST:
> >   # Makefile.am for installing configuration data
> >   etcdir=/etc/lx2005
> >   etc_DATA = serlog.conf
>
> This is seriously broken. What if my /etc directory is read-only, for
> example.

Exactly.

> This breaks any hope of getting a VPATH build.

You're confusing build tree (which has to do with VPATH) and install
tree (which doesn't) here.

> >When I run 'make distcheck' it fails as it cannot install the files to
> >'/etc/lx2005'.
>
> Indeed, because distcheck makes sure the build uses VPATH.

But that's not cause of the failure: distcheck makes sure files can be
installed at all by the current user (to somewhere below `pwd` or
TMPDIR).

I think Stepan and others corrected most other things in this thread
already.