Automake 1.10 - No rule to make target '-c', needed by 'all-am'. Stop

From: Craig Sanders
Subject: Automake 1.10 - No rule to make target '-c', needed by 'all-am'. Stop.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:26:50 +1000

Hello all.

I am hoping that someone can help me with my problem.

I have just installed automake 1.10 and autoconf 2.61 on my system. I am able
to successfully run aclocal, autoconf and automake on my package. The resulting
configure script that is created runs without any errors when I invoke it from
within the build directory. However, when I run make in the build directory, I
get the following messages (amongst others) ;

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/craig/source_code/c++/build/nana'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target '-c', needed by 'all-am'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/craig/source_code/c++/build/nana'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

As an aside, performing a make dist from within the build directory seems to
work fine. I opened up the culprit Makefile in a text editor to find that it
contains the following line ;

all-am: Makefile $(DATA)

The variable DATA is set earlier in the Makefile as follows ;

DATA = $(INSTALL_DATA)

I then proceeded to manually add a target to the Makefile as follows ;

display_value_data:
    @echo ${DATA}

Invoking make display_value_data from within the build directory I get the
following ;

/usr/bin/install -c -m 644

I think I can now see why make is somplaining that it doesn't have a rule to
make target '-c', needed by 'all-am'.

Have I done something wrong or has something changed in the latest version of
the Autotools that I should know about? Admittedly I did need to make some
small changes to my package's configure.ac file, because autoconf complained
when I ran it. Should I maybe have posted this message to the autoconf mailing
list instead?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance for any
help.

- Craig Sanders