Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:21:53 -0700

Harlan Stenn wrote:
I'll say it again - I am not interested in a reminder, I am interested
in being efficient at maintaining software packages.  This means
*shortening* the development cycle.
Yes, this would seem to be the values set of automake. Shorten the developer cycle at the cost of the usability. I was hoping that enough time had elapsed that it might be reasonable to reevaluate this priority.
I'm saying "mitigate the onus".

While it's debatable if your deviation is trivial, speaking from my
experience implementing your proposal will definitely cost me time and
effort, and I do not see any offsetting general benefit.
The general benefit is in usability.
I agree with Ralf - can you demonstrate an example of the problem you
are trying to solve?
I've already described the use case twice. And the response seems to be that automake doesn't support those use cases. Ok, I knew that. Automake doesn't support those use cases YET. What I'm proposing is that we start supporting those use cases, directly, as a standard and supported feature of automake.
In what way does my proposal fail to address your needs?
Where is the trivial way I can change your default policy so I can work
as efficiently as I do now?
Yes.  Add AM_REGEN to your Makefile.am.
Telling me to remember to run a different target is not good enough.
And telling me that I must have automake installed simply in order to build packages that use automake really isn't good enough either. So it seems we're at a standstill and automake will continue to be a cause for grief in this instance rather than a solution. I think that's sad, but if that's the product you want to be producing then I guess that's your choice.

--rich