Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:29:11 +0200

* K. Richard Pixley wrote on Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:00:49PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >What was your point again with respect to missing autotools?
> >Can you now finally be bothered to bring forward a specific setup that
> >goes wrong?
> >
> This fails for me because $(srcdir)/Makefile.in is read-only.

Please post the command you have entered and cut and paste its complete
output, including the error message and return value.  And please
mention the make implementation (and version) as well as autotools
versions and the system you're using.  Allow me to ensure that there is
no bug that I am not aware of.  Thank you very much.

Please consider <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>.

FWIW, 'make' should still succeed if the source tree is read-only.  Only
if the source tree is read-only AND also the autotools ARE present, then
I can see how you get a failure.  But in your short description you
mentioned neither of these data points.  (Yes, you have mentioned the
read-only source tree before, but only as one of several scenarios.
Let's get my example setup to a point that matches one of your setups.)

Thanks,