Re: Lack of AM_PROG_CXX_C_O

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: Lack of AM_PROG_CXX_C_O
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:40:51 +0200

On 25/06/2007, at 17:35, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Julio,

* Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:55:55PM CEST:

I see that Autoconf 2.61 has added the macros AC_PROG_{CXX,FC,F77} _C_O.
Does Automake need to mimic these, replacing them with their AM_*
counterparts?

I have a dusty patch for this lying around somewhere. I'll try to find
and post it when I return from travelling, next week.  But chances are
you don't need those macros: C++ compilers not understanding "-c -o"
(except MSVC, for which wrappers like cccl and wgcc exist) are very
rare (UnixWare).

Aha, that's what I was suspecting. So, if this macro is not required for C++ code, maybe the documentation should be adjusted to mention this fact?

Also, what about Fortran? (I don't know anything about this language so cannot make any guesses.)

Thank you,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>