Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:29:35 +0200

Bob Rossi wrote:
On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 05:34:19PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

A big difference between Automake projects and building the Linux kernel is that building the linux kernel is practically assured to succeed where as building Automake projects may fail and require correction by the end user (who needs to see what is going on).
In my scripts, I have an option "--disable-echo", which does the same thing. Oddly enough (but worth repeating since none of the cons who respond to this relatively frequent request appear to have noticed that the error messages give line numbers, and better compilers/tools give column numbers as well), that's enough for all but a very small fraction of the time.

(Perhaps someone should clone automake, naming it "autobuild" or something like that, and fix this and the other frequently-ignored-requests ;-)

Even easier. Perhaps someone should post a patch for this feature!

http://kim.tensta.gannert.se/projects/pretty-am/

cheers,
dalibor topic