Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Modify Output to look like Linux Kernel
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:20:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:02:12AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:24:47AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Bob Rossi wrote:

Even easier. Perhaps someone should post a patch for this feature!

There is (it's been discussed on this mailing list more than once).
But I see you in one  of the discussions..

For those who came late, here's one of the places where the automake
maintainer opted out:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-patches/2006-08/msg00024.html

That is unfortunate. 1 million users can't be wrong.

Obviously you're not referring to automake (since _it_ doesn't have a
million developers writing scripts for it).

No, I am referring to automake, its developers and USERS. I think most
USERS want this feature, and I was just being silly saying it.

well, there's two ways of reading the comment: (1) and the "million" users are happy with the package as it standard, or (2) that the "million" users would like the change (to make the package optionally quieter).

(in either case, the number of users who actually notice this is very likely an order of magnitude smaller, while the developers are again another order of magnitude fewer - the point being that most users of automake couldn't construct a makefile without some additional guidance).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net