Re: --add-missing

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: --add-missing
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:25:47 +0200

Hello Eric,

* Eric Polino wrote on Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:00:44AM CEST:

> Here lies the problem.  If I run toplevel/ag.sh it creates
> finch/libgnt/Makefile.in, as it always has and should.  Within there
> it generates a variable called DIST_COMMON which doesn't reference the
> automake scripts such as 'install-sh'.  If I then run
> finch/libgnt/ag.sh it will regenerate f/l/Makefile.in to where
> DIST_COMMON now contains 'install-sh' but it references the one in
> toplevel/ instead of one located in libgnt/.
>
> DIST_COMMON="..... ../../install-sh ...."
>
> On the other hand if I run finch/libgnt/ag.sh first, it generates
> Makefile.in with DIST_COMMON having 'install-sh' located in libgnt/
>
> DIST_COMMON="...... install.sh ...."
>
> The latter behavior is what I want to get.  Is there a way I can get
> the latter outcome by doing the former procedure while still
> preserving the latter procedure/outcome pair?

Put `AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([.])' in finch/libgnt/configure.ac.  Put either
`AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([.])' or `AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([finch/libgnt])' in the
toplevel configure.ac (depending on whether you would prefer to have two
copies or only one of the auxiliary scripts in the combined tree.

I should note that the latter setup may cause you to stumble over a
bug with Automake releases older than 1.10, so be sure to use at least
that.

Hope that helps.