Re: %-style pattern rules

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: %-style pattern rules
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:18:48 +0200

BeN [F1233 121D312] wrote:

Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
about rules of the shape, e.g.,

%.txt: %.tt

how else could I implement those make rules?

I guess so called old-fashioned style of implicit rules would do:

e.g:

.SUFFIXES: .txt .tt

all: t.txt

.tt.txt:
    cp -v $< $@

and what if I need two files (with two different extensions) depend on a single file?

for instance I use GNU gengetopt to generate command line parsers: I write a .ggo file and process it this file with gengetopt in order to create a .h and a .c

how would I transform this rule?

%.c %.h: %.ggo

Moreover, this rule has also the problem of not working with parallel makes (e.g., make -j2)

thanks in advance
        Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)