Re: Build a lib, then example programs

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Build a lib, then example programs
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:12:02 +0200

On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:58 AM, myrdos2 wrote:

I've been trying to use the autotools to compile a static library. The lib itself compiles and installs OK, but I'm having trouble with the example programs. These programs must be linked with the lib to compile. I keep getting 'undefined reference' errors when I try to compile them, even if the
library has already been built.

Makefile.am:

## Process this file with automake to produce Makefile.in

AM_CXXFLAGS = -D_REENTRANT -Wall
AM_LDFLAGS = -pthread -ldconn -lz

lib_LIBRARIES = libdconn.a

libdconn_a_SOURCES = DyConnect.cpp \
        libdconn/DasyneInterface.cpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncClient.cpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncServerFSM.cpp

nobase_include_HEADERS = DyConnect.h \
        libdconn/DasyneInterface.hpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncEngine.hpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncServerFSM.hpp

Hmm, that's not related to your problem but I *think* that you should do something like this:

nobase_include_HEADERS = DyConnect.h \
        libdconn/DasyneInterface.hpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncEngine.hpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncServerFSM.hpp

libdconn_a_SOURCES = $(nobase_include_HEADERS) \
        DyConnect.cpp \
        libdconn/DasyneInterface.cpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncClient.cpp \
        libdconn/sync/SyncServerFSM.cpp

In order to get proper dependency tracking from automake, can anyone confirm this? (as I'm not sure)

Moreover I don't know whether this is intended but the _HEADERS primary is used to specify headers that must be installed. If you did not mean this, you do better just list the headers in the libdconn_a_SOURCES.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory