Re: Internal Error with 1.10, unterminated IF

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Internal Error with 1.10, unterminated IF
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:45:00 +0200

[ let's limit this to the automake list ]

Hello Jason,

* Jason Curl wrote on Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 08:11:07PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >Do you think it would be more helpful if the error were like this?
> >| Makefile.am:4: conditional terminated with `endif' instead of `fi'

> Looking at the patch, I can see why you've added 'fi' as a check. But
> does the problem remain when an 'if' is unterminated automake would
> still report an error?

Yes.  I kinda hoped you wouldn't ask this question.  ;-)

> I just didn't think it was necessary to explicitly deal with "fi"
> except for those who get confused between sh and automake :).

But that's a good reason, no?

> But given GCC diagnostics for unterminated if's, it might be a real
> nightmare to do anything other than what Ralf has graciously implemented.

Exactly.  I tried looking into it for a few seconds, then decided that I
wouldn't be the one that makes automake gracefully complete after it has
encountered an error.