Re: declaring sources ...

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: declaring sources ...
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:17:45 -0400

On 8/15/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Note all the "XXXX.cpp" files and the AM_CXXFLAGS and AM_LDFLAGS.  The cpp
> > files vary over time and I have to refresh the list every time.  Is there
> > anyway to declare something like *.cpp??
>
> No.  The limitation is intentional, because then you can have a
> ApplicationOld.cpp in your source tree, without having it automatically
> compiled or distributed.  Even with revision control, this is handy at
> times.

Why is this not a toggleable option of some sort?  Why force a user
into a difficult situation that will end up having a kludgey
workaround? (like something that auto-generates the makfile.am,
bringing the total layers to what.. 4?  some script > makefile.am >
makefile.in > makefile.  )  The justification sounds a little like
giving someone a gun but not ever letting him disengage the safety.

I understand why using $(wildcard ...) variables is discouraged, as
it's not portable.  Having automake generate the source file list
according to some regular expression is, however, an *extremely*
useful advanced tool.