$(DESTDIR) in install TARGET?

From: Peter Volkov
Subject: $(DESTDIR) in install TARGET?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:09:01 +0400

Hello, list.

Seems that it is useful to update $(DESTDIR)$(INFODIR)/foo.info when
foo.info was updated during `make install`. There is the example on the
page
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Standard-Targets.html
which represents what I'm talking about:

$(DESTDIR)$(INFODIR)/foo.info: foo.info
        #some rules to install foo.info

So is there any reason why generated Makefiles does not have such
targets and why install target does not depend on them?

If I missed anything in archives I'm sorry about that and ask you to
point me to relevant discussion.

Thank you in advance,
--
Peter.