Re: Producing MS Developer Studio Project files

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Producing MS Developer Studio Project files
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:58:34 +0200

On Sep 1, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Bob Rossi wrote:

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:49:47AM -0500, Gurpreet Sachdeva wrote:
Hi Paul,

I read your post (very old) about producing MSVC project files from
makefile.am files

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/automake/2000-02/msg00019.html

Were you able to find/create a tool which does that? I am interested in this and was planning to write a one if required. If there is a existing tool
(stable/unstable). I can take that forward for maintaining.

Please let me know if you have any inputs on this.

Is there any beta support for this? I can test it out. I'm assumming you
would need to run this from a mingw or cygwin shell, is that true?

I think this would be an extremely nice improvement to the automake
system. As it stands, I'm currently going to have to support 2 build
systems, one for POSIX world, and one for msft.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

FYI, I also had to deal with this issue (that is, how to build UNIXy projects with the Microsoft toolchain) and the solution I came up with after a month of hacking and trial-and-error process is that I wrap the entire MS Visual C++ toolchain with shell scripts that set proper environment variables suitable to run cl.exe and the like from Cygwin, I use a modified version of cccl (which I sent upstream but the project doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, you can find it at [1]) with a patched version of GNU Make 3.81 (until 3.82 is released at least) see [2].

With all these hooks and stuff I can build almost any standard UNIX package with MS VC++ provided that the code itself compiles on VC++ (that is, the packaging system will not get in the way). This comes very handy when you want to use all the standard features of the autotools (such as distcheck) against a MS VC++ build.

Somewhere in my TODO list (very deep inside it) I have a plan to make a public release of all this (including installer script and stuff) but in the mean time you can try the patches/tools I mentioned and I can help you off-list if needed.

[1] http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/cccl
[2] http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/make-3.81-cygwin.patch
http://www.tsunanet.net/~tsuna/make-3.81- cygwin_MAKE_expansion.patch Can't be bothered to find the related posts on GNU Make W32 ML archive, sorry.

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory