Re: How to install additional files in "make install"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to install additional files in "make install"
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:10:19 +0200

Hello Ralf,

* Ralf Corsepius wrote on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:50:09AM CEST:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 10:05 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Ralf Corsepius wrote on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 09:46:12AM CEST:
> >
> > > dist_lib_DATA = libxxx.so
> >
> > That won't get the right (execute) permissions of libxxx.so,
>
> Adding an install-data-hook is another one.

Yep.

> >  and automake complains
> > | Makefile.am:1: `libdir' is not a legitimate directory for `DATA'
>
> Ohh yeah - I forgot about this ole' bug in automake
> (IMO, automake is plain wrong on not letting other files go into
> $libdir).

I agree that there should be a straightforward way to put files there.
But it is right about complaining about the above line, because
otherwise the unwary user won't remember to fix the permissions.
Ultimately, I guess another primary, or a prefix to _LIBRARIES or so,
should be created to allow this sort of thing.