Re: Migration to Git?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Migration to Git?
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:26:05 -0600

According to Benoit SIGOURE on 9/30/2007 10:10 AM:
> On Sep 30, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
>> Hello Benoit, all,

Hello,

>> For Automake, Alexandre should be asked; FWIW my position is the same as
>> for Libtool; but note that Automake CVS is currently not hosted on
>> savannah.

Hosting the git repository on savannah requires project admin rights.  I
was recently granted those rights for Autoconf (hence the autoconf
conversion), but do not have them for Automake or Libtool, or else I would
have offered to convert those too.

> Uh.  I've always done `cvs -z3
> -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/automake co .` to
> fetch automake.  Is automake officially hosted at redhat?

Yes.  Write access goes through sources.redhat.com (aka sourceware.org,
aka cygwin.com, aka gcc.gnu.org); then someone has a mirroring script to
keep the savannah repository up-to-date.

>  Or sourceware
> maybe?  I presume this is for historical reasons, but would it be a
> problem if automake moved to address@hidden + read-only CVS?  How are the
> CVS repositories at Savannah and RH/Sourceware/whatever sync'ed together?

Right now, the Autoconf CVS repository at cvs.sv.gnu.org is manually
synced with the git repository (ie. if I check in to git, then I run
git-cvsexportcommit to push it to the CVS tree; if someone else were to
check in to CVS, I would rerun git-cvsimport to grab it back to git).  The
gnulib tree officially cut ties to cvs.sv.gnu.org - anyone with write
access now gets a failure from the cvs hooks that denies updating the old
repository, but it remains accessible for doing 'cvs diff'.

Meanwhile, if you convert to a git repository, you can still offer
read-only CVS access, via a new host - pserver.git.sv.gnu.org.  This is
not a separate repository, merely a CVS view into the git repository, so
it is automatically up-to-date with git.  The m4 git repository also has
the pserver access enabled, but there are problems with git handling
branches, so I haven't really publicized the link to that new repository
yet.  Automake and libtool both suffer from the same problem as m4 -
namely, there is a release branch and a development branch that are both
still being actively maintained, so the git-cvsserver branch serving
issues need to be resolved (gnulib and autoconf were nicer, since there is
only one active branch).

Furthermore, Jim Meyering and Sylvain Beucler are working on updating the
savannah web hosting pages to allow pointing to the git CVS mirror instead
of the old repository on the CVS instruction pages for each project using
git.  Once this is done, I will have him do the same thing for Autoconf as
has been done for gnulib - namely, turn of write access to the old CVS
repository, and no longer publish its address, but still leave it live for
doing diffs.

- --

Eric Blake             address@hidden