Re: xxx_LIBRARIES does ranlib on install

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: xxx_LIBRARIES does ranlib on install
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:27:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, NightStrike wrote:

If I place something inside the primary "_LIBRARIES", for instance
libmine.a, when I do a make install after doing a make, make runs
ranlib on that library.  Why is ranlib run during make install instead
of during make all?

Many systems supporting ranlib insist that ranlib be run on the library in its final location. Otherwise the library is ignored. I don't know if that is the case for MinGW.

Regarding your question about executable DLLs, if you take a look in your Windows System directory you will see that DLLs are marked as executable. Traditionally DLLs are found using the executable search path.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn