Re: Version question and "No rule to make target" question

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: Version question and "No rule to make target" question
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:18:51 +0200

On Oct 22, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Hongliang Wang wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

CC: address@hidden
From: address@hidden
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:39:57 +0200
To: address@hidden

On Oct 22, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Hongliang Wang wrote:

address@hidden> make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/export/guam/jigsaw/dev/jhwgu/src/jz'
Making all in gen
make[2]: Entering directory `/export/guam/jigsaw/dev/jhwgu/src/jz/ gen'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `zizutil.c', needed by
`zizutil.o'. Stop.

Are you sure that the file `zizutil.c' exists? If this file is
generated, use BUILT_SOURCES (see the automake manual).

yes, I am quite sure that this file do exist!

Could then please post the output of "cd src/jz/gen && make -d"? Or can you `make dist' and upload the resulting tarball somewhere so that we can try to reproduce your problem?

So this is weird - why are automake trying to make my existing source code to be a target?

Your problem does not seem to be related to automake. The Makefile states that `zizutil.o' depends on `zizutil.c', and when `make' tries to build `zizutil.o', it will look for `zizutil.c' and if it's not there (or if it's there but `make' can't find it for some reason) it will try to find a rule to generate `zizutil.c'. And if it can't, it will stop with this error, saying that it hasn't got a `zizutil.c' and doesn't know how to build this file.

I am expecting zizutil.o and zizzy.o to be built from zizutil.c and zizzy.c.

Then I will use these two object files to build the library file: libzizzy.a

so my Makefile.am is

noinst_LIBRARIES = libzizzy.a
libzizzy_a_SOURCES = zizutil.c zizzy.c

Is my Makefile.am correct?

Yes, it seems to be correct. This Makefile.am is in the folder src/ jz/gen right? Along with the sources `zizutil.c' and `zizzy.c', right?

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory