Re: How to put right files in to "doc" directory

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: How to put right files in to "doc" directory
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:51:58 +0100

Hello,

* Hongliang Wang wrote on Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:38:35AM CET:

> Currently I have all the document files in top-level directory,
[...]
> My boss would like to put AUTHORS, COPYING, ChangeLog, NEWS, TODO into "doc"
> directory.

In the source tree or after installation?
For the former:
  cd $source_tree
  mkdir doc
  mv AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS TODO doc

add
  EXTRA_DIST += doc/AUTHORS doc/COPYING doc/ChangeLog ...

to the toplevel Makefile.am, and add the foreign option to the
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE invocation in configure.ac:
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])

If you care about having the files installed in $(docdir), then you can
write something like
  dist_doc_DATA = AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS TODO

Hope that helps.