Re: dir_PRIMARY_*FLAGS

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dir_PRIMARY_*FLAGS
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 19:28:59 +0100

* NightStrike wrote on Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:13:58PM CET:

> The Automake manual makes reference to Peter Miller's paper
> (http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html).  I've
> been trying to adopt those ideas as much as possible, and so far have
> succeeded in not requiring any recursive invocations of make.  Your
> suggestion would require recursive make, correct?

Yes.  Maybe I should write a paper "nonrecursive make also considered
harmful" just to be able to point people at it.  It's overhyped.
There is no need to be completely nonrecursive.  There's been a lot
of prior discussion, see for example
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.automake.general/7238/focus=7241>.