Re: dir_PRIMARY_*FLAGS

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: dir_PRIMARY_*FLAGS
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 21:01:47 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Yes.  Maybe I should write a paper "nonrecursive make also considered
harmful" just to be able to point people at it.  It's overhyped.
There is no need to be completely nonrecursive.  There's been a lot

Ralf,

Thanks for sharing your true feelings. I will never again think of you the same ... Sniff! Sniff! Boo, hoo!

While creating a nonrecursive build environment is more painful, and you do lose a few conveniences (e.g. cd foodir; make foo), I still have no regrets that I converted GraphicsMagick to it. The software compiles much faster now (yes, really!) and there are no wasted build operations.

Old recursive build:
  gmake -j 5  90.03s user 8.25s system 206% cpu 47.674 total

New non-recursive build:
  gmake -j 5  95.85s user 4.64s system 291% cpu 34.465 total

I will fully agree that it takes more effort to set-up a large non-recursive build environment. A top-down design is required.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn