How to install only derived file, not its .in?

From: Brad Larsen
Subject: How to install only derived file, not its .in?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:44:37 -0500

Hi list,

I have a project that requires some shell scripts to be built from .in files (to fill in some path variables).

To do this substitution, I followed the directions in section 4.7.2 of the autoconf manual. Basically, use sed to replace @variable@ with its expansion from the generated makefile.

In the distribution, I want to include only the .in files and not the derived files. When installing, I want to install only the derived files and not the .in files. So far my Makefile.am looks like this:

[snip]
# runme doesn't get included in the distribution.
runtemplate_DATA = runme
DISTCLEANFILES = runme

# all the .in files are included in the distribution. But they are also installed (because of _DATA, I presume).
dist_runtemplate_DATA = \
        [snip]
        runme.in \
        [snip]
[snip]

How can I install only the derived files, but distribute only the base?

Thank you kindly,
Brad Larsen